My two daughters recently built a tent outside – obviously, they have never read Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson, or they’d know that you don’t accessorize a teepee with poison ivy. Yes, the calamine lotion has been flowing freely at our house this week.

Look on the bright side! Subscribe via my RSS feed.

30 Comments on Swiss Family Robinson we are NOT.

  1. Shara
    August 5, 2008 at 9:18 am (9 years ago)

    Oh my goodness! I know that wouldn’t be near as funny if I was the one itching. Bless their hearts!

  2. Amber
    August 5, 2008 at 9:48 am (9 years ago)

    OH NO!!!

    I’m HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy. I sympathize from the bottom of my heart.

    p.s. In my experience, Ivarest (with calamine, benadryl and something else I can’t recall) is better than plain calamine lotion. It’s thicker and forms a protective layer and relieves INSTANTLY! Good luck!

  3. Misty
    August 5, 2008 at 11:09 am (9 years ago)

    it’s beautiful, but wow… that’s unfortunate…

  4. LaDonna
    August 5, 2008 at 12:08 pm (9 years ago)

    Aw, poor girls! I hope they are getting better!

  5. Sonya
    August 5, 2008 at 2:02 pm (9 years ago)

    Oh no! How sad that their cool creation caused such misery! “The Sister House”….how sweet!

  6. emily
    August 5, 2008 at 3:40 pm (9 years ago)

    oh dear. a hard way to learn the old ‘leaves of three, let it be’ rule, right?

  7. Rachel C.
    August 5, 2008 at 4:00 pm (9 years ago)

    Poor kids! I am insanely allergic to mosquito bites (I don’t die or anything, they just get HUGE and puffy). I can only imagine what would happen if I got into poison ivy. Hope they feel better soon!

  8. Abbreviated
    August 5, 2008 at 5:16 pm (9 years ago)

    Don't forget to wash EVERYTHING. Pjs, sheets …

    Have 2 highly allergic family members.

    ENT's use to give shots, but the government stopped them for some reason.

    We learned the hard way that it spreads if sheets & pjs are not washed.

  9. Katy
    August 5, 2008 at 6:05 pm (9 years ago)

    Oh, those poor girls!

  10. Mzzterry
    August 5, 2008 at 9:13 pm (9 years ago)

    So sorry they itch…but what a very, extremely COOL tent, great work!

  11. grammy
    August 5, 2008 at 9:28 pm (9 years ago)

    Beautiful tent. They will remember this forever. It will go down in family history.

  12. ispeakbeanish
    August 5, 2008 at 9:32 pm (9 years ago)

    Oh no! I can sympathize. I got a horrible case of poison ivy when I was about 14 after doing yardwork for a elderly lady in our church. It was pure misery. I hope it goes away quickly for them!

  13. chilihead2
    August 5, 2008 at 9:40 pm (9 years ago)

    Oh no! I could never tell what poison ivy was. Everyone says it’s easy, but I could never spot it. I would have totally adorned the tent with it. Poor girls.

  14. Rose
    August 5, 2008 at 11:00 pm (9 years ago)

    Oh what a harsh harsh way to learn that lesson. And it was such a pretty teepee!

  15. Scribbit
    August 5, 2008 at 11:37 pm (9 years ago)

    Okay how did you do it? The pictures look so beautiful–I mean it’s a fun teepee and everything but you make it look like art!

  16. Dorothy
    August 6, 2008 at 4:59 am (9 years ago)

    It is a lovely teepee but what a decorating faux pas! Poor, itchy girls!

  17. Stitchblade
    August 6, 2008 at 6:51 am (9 years ago)

    Really? That is poison ivy? I am so THANKFUL that I must not be allergic! My oldest daughter is highly allergic and has had it several times. It is MISERABLE! Poor kids!!! Great job on building a beautiful tent though!

  18. TheAngelForever
    August 6, 2008 at 7:49 am (9 years ago)

    Nice to see that you can see the beauty of the teepee after the poison ivy invasion. I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

  19. Mel @ A Box of Chocolates
    August 6, 2008 at 8:34 am (9 years ago)

    That is one heck of a teepee they built. So creative!! That stinks that it was on top of the poison ivy. Now I will be itching all day too.

  20. dianne - bunny trails
    August 6, 2008 at 8:35 am (9 years ago)

    Aw man, what a bummer to find out your home decor causes skin problems. It sure looked good, though!

  21. The Fitness Diva
    August 6, 2008 at 8:40 am (9 years ago)

    Wow… looks kind of creepy! The stark black and white gives that effect..

  22. Marie
    August 6, 2008 at 9:17 am (9 years ago)

    Great teepee! Hopefully the poison ivy won’t discourage them from making another one! What a fun little hideaway.

  23. "J"
    August 6, 2008 at 9:55 am (9 years ago)

    They did a great job making the tent!!! I feel soooooooooooooooooo BAD for them!

    When I a little girl I would stay the summer at my Nanny’s (my moms mom)! Any ways…I had a *summer* friend that lived behind my Nanny and we would play together each and every day! We had what we called a “CLUB” lol! We had our own theme song, handshake and we would collect what we called tokens (different grass, leaves, flowers and sticks out of the yard! Guess what one of our tokens was?!?! Yep! A batman leaf! lol! Poison oak! We didn’t know…well, until my whole face was covered in it!!! Toooooooooooo funny! Your post took me WAY back to my kiddie days!!! lol

  24. homeschoolceo
    August 6, 2008 at 10:47 am (9 years ago)

    Oh, that’s too bad. It was such a valiant effort. They did a wonderful job. Hope they are feeling better soon!

  25. Natalie @ I AM (not)
    August 6, 2008 at 10:49 am (9 years ago)

    very good. very good indeed

  26. Kallie / Asian History
    August 6, 2008 at 11:52 am (9 years ago)

    Ah, these beautiful childhood mishaps!

    My sister and I used to go to our “fort” and squirt winterberries at each other. Found out later that they are toxic…

    It’s true, though, you never forget these thing!

  27. I am Boymom
    August 6, 2008 at 12:06 pm (9 years ago)

    Oooohhh Nooooo! The teepee was fantastic!! Are your daughters in the Future Architects of America Club? One day they will look back at this and laugh their butts off! Happy itching, girls!

  28. Flea
    August 6, 2008 at 12:32 pm (9 years ago)

    Ooooo. Brutal.

  29. Madeline
    August 6, 2008 at 1:35 pm (9 years ago)

    Ouch! At least it’s a lovely tent that they can be proud of. Although they’ll just have to view it from afar instead of actually playing in it. Hope the itchies end quickly!

  30. Sharon Ellery
    August 6, 2008 at 6:14 pm (9 years ago)

    Beautiful and dangerous! Ouch. They’ll just have to admire their creativity from afar now 🙁

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *